Friday, August 8, 2014

Common Core Algebra Planning (Part 1)

First Blog!

So here I am, starting a new job as an Algebra teacher; 1 section Common Core, some sections of year 1 of a 2-year algebra course, and some lab sections in the second year of a 2-year algebra course.  I have been completely transformed by what I have seen online on other teacher blogs, the MTBoS, and Twitter Math Camp.  People like Dan Meyer, Sarah Rubin, and Sarah Hagan have completely transformed how I view teaching math.  I know this year is going to be the best year yet, and I will only continue to learn more!

I am overwhelmed with ideas of classroom posters, interactive notebooks, three-act-math tasks, and first day math activities.  So far, I have begun my notebook, but I am trying to adapt our New York State modules to fit my style and my approach to laying the foundation for algebra.  

Sorry for the faintness of the writing, I feel nervous to commit to the outline!


Outline

For those of you using modules, I have really been able to dig into the progressions of K-HS math and the structure of the modules themselves.  I have even ordered myself a color, teacher copy of the modules that can be found here! Anyways, based on how things have worked for others this year and what I know, I have decided to not do Topic A.  Instead I have decided to modify Topic B and consulted an algebra textbook from the 1950s similar to the one below...
...in order to review the deep-down basics of numbers, properties, and operations.
  1. I want to review math as a language.  Music, German, and Klingon are all languages.  "Like other languages, Mathematics has its own vocabulary, grammar (principles that govern the correct use of a language), syntax (the part of grammar that concerns rules of word order), synonyms, negations, conventions, abbreviations, and sentence structure" (Esty).  I love, love LOVE this quote!  So inspiring and relevant!
  2. What is a number?  Is "12" a numeral?  What is the value?  Why wouldn't we use "(8-5)*4" to represent "12"?  I want to have rich discussions, or even arguments, over what a number is.  In 9th grade, students think they know what math is about, but I guess I want to shatter that illusion.
  3. Sets.  What is a set?  A set of dishes, a set of tools, a set of numbers...I think this a good flow into the different number sets like the natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, etc.  I am not afraid to use the notation as in college either, I have made a poster!
  4. Operations I love this progression found on the math page here.  Again, kids think they know what operations are and how they work, but they really don't!  I also think this is paramount for making connections from integers to polynomials like the modules do.  As for the Order of Operations?  Forget PEMDAS!  I love love LOVE the "Boss Triangle" (also on my math posters).  I got the idea from this article from NCTM.

I am also going to start a weekly student blog for my math journals, called "Writing Fridays".  I know it's not a catchy title, but I think that it is a good way to instill some literacy in the math classroom.  So on Fridays I am thinking of posing a task, or question to the students.  They have parameters to answer over the weekend (due Monday) and respond to at least two other students (due the following Friday).  We will develop a rubric, but I love the idea of allowing the students to be creative with their responses and "critique the reasoning of others".  I, of course, will monitor responses and posts to make sure it is appropriate.

For instance, the first Friday I have a "Write your Mathology".

Students can pick from these prompts (borrowed from here):

  • How do you feel about math? Do you like or dislike it? Why do you feel that way?
  • Are you "good" at mathematics? Explain.
  • Do you like some areas of mathematics better than others? If so, which ones do you like or dislike? Why do you like or dislike them?
  • What makes math great or horrible for you?
  • What experiences in math have you liked? Why?
  • Describe your most memorable experience in learning math (good or bad).
  • How do you feel about taking the math class you are taking this year? What do you expect to learn about?
  • What type of things do you think are important to help students learn math?
The next week, they will answer "Is math the language of the universe? Why or why not?"  Here is a cool article that references this video that students can watch to whet their appetites:

I will have to write another blog on the entire next week I have planned, including properties, equality, expressions...

I told you, my mind is SPINNING with ideas from the #MTBoS!!!!








Esty, Warren. "The Language of Mathematics." (n.d.): n. pag. AugustMath. Web. <http://augustusmath.hypermart.net/LMSection1p1.pdf>.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome! It sounds like you have some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Kayla! It sounds like you have an interesting begin to your course planned. Here are two videos that you might also like:

    SciShow's "The Weird Truth about Arabic Numerals":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ar7CNsJUm58

    PBS Idea Channel's "Is Math a Feature of the Universe or a Human Creation?":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNymweHW4E

    I'm also starting the year with a similar unit, but I have a lot of time dedicated to it: http://inpursuitofnerdiness.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/gearing-up/

    I have a bunch of resources developed for a few days of work on this, which I'd be happy to share if you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much! I will definitely try to incorporate those ideas into my week. I am sure I will have to extend those days, but it is at least a starting point!

      Delete
  3. Welcome! I'm a newbie to the MTBOS as well! You have some good ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeste,

      Thank you for the visit! I look forward to reading everyone's ideas here on the MTBoS!

      Delete